Tuesday 30 September 2008

Digital Filmmaking : The Nonstop Life of a Freelance Filmmaker


Digital Filmmaking
The Nonstop Life of a Freelance Filmmaker
September 24, 2008 The phone rang. Without even looking, I knew who it was."Urvi." I said answering the phone. "What's up?""A couple things. Are you busy?" "That depends..." "Good. Listen, the Pro-Teck people want to discuss deliverables and compression, so could you please get back to them ASAP? Also, I have a favor to ask.""I'll call Pro-Teck when I get off the phone with you. What's this favor you speak of?""CDIA wants you to write a blog about your life as a freelance editor."I took a sip of coffee. "Can you do it?" she asked.Good question, I thought. The fact is, I've been extremely busy since graduating from CDIA last September. Actually, wait a minute. Now that I think about it, I was already working as lead editor on a feature-length documentary a month or so before I finished Practicum. So in actuality, I was a working filmmaker before I was even shaking hands and enjoying the spanakopita at graduation.Is it feasible time-wise for me to write this blog? My to-do list this week includes: a reality show, a feature length doc, a short film and a music video to edit; a rough cut screening to attend; a class to teach; another doc to produce and a feature length script to co-write -- but besides all that, I have plenty of time. Wait, I almost forgot. I also have a relationship to maintain and two bands that I need to write and practice for. But besides that... Yes, plenty of free time."Sure," I said. "I can do it. No problem."I think that’s a motto all we freelance artists need to learn in our first few years out. I've lost count of how many times I've said that exact phrase or something very similar to a prospective job since graduating from CDIA. And that determination to take every job that comes down the pipeline and to keep learning has ensured that I'm constantly working and doing what I love.Sure, I don't sleep much, and I'm reasonably certain that all of the blood in my veins has been replaced with black coffee and cheap energy drinks, but I'm living the dream. I'm getting paid (much more than I ever did at previous jobs) to film live music, edit documentaries and features, color correct shorts and much more... Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. That’s how much fun I'm having. So here I am. I spent the morning location scouting and doing tests for a short that I'm working on this weekend. Now I'm writing this blog on site at a client's office while Compressor whirs away in the background and with about two pots of coffee swimming around in my brain.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Special Thank for Credit Link : http://www.cdiabu.com/blog/post/life-of-a-freelance-filmmaker.php

No comments: